Friday, April 17, 2009

Bums

I wonder a lot about bums. Well not a lot, but some.

I recently got approached by this woman on campus while I was walking home. She was really nice and all like "I'm very respectful, I always appreciate whatever you can give me, I'm not dangerous, etc. etc." And the thing was, I've been approached by her before!! And the first time, I think I gave her a dollar or something. And that was during the winter. SAME WOMAN! And this time after seeing her, I think she got her hair highlighted or dyed or something...

Which brings me to the wondering. Are they ALL LIARS?! I bet some of them aren't, but the ones that are always standing outside Walgreens or the ones that walk around campus asking for money. Are they really really poor or what. Because dying your hair or getting highlights costs A LOT of money. Doesn't it? Or ok. Say she bought a kit. Why the hell would you be buying a kit to highlight your hair if you're really THAT poor and need to ask people you don't know for money? Use that money on food or something useful! Money for a card on the el or bus money to go to a job interview or something!

Also...how come all the bums I see are always (99%) of one certain ethnicity? There are so many other races and whatnot in Chicago. But none of them are bumming around asking for money! Why is that? Because everyone else will go out there and get a job no matter what kind of job it is just to earn money? Are those kinds of jobs too "low" for that certain race? Ok I'll just say it. Black people. I don't get that.

Question to everyone. As in the one person. MAYBE that reads this.

If you were in that position where you were jobless, would you take on ANY job even if it was realllly ridiculous or degrading (but not prostitution or something like that) would you do that OR go around begging people for money on college campuses and at intersections of busy streets?

Half the time I feel bad for them and give them money, other times, I wonder why they aren't trying harder.

I KNOW, I KNOW that there are people who are veterans and don't get proper treatment and there are a lot of people who fall through the cracks in the government and whatnot, but you know, how is it only black people. Or mostly black people? WHY!? I honestly wonder.

My bro's friend just informed me that some guy pretended to be a bum for a while and then wrote an article about it. Apparently you can make a lot of money that way. Although obviously it's not very stable. One day you can make $1000 one day you can make $1. BUT! If you average it out, this guy, I should look this up, for a year you can make $100k. SERIOUSLY?!

IS THIS WHY THEY'RE BUMS?!

No comments: